The Agenda allowed Obama to get elected for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with what motivated voters to tick Obama's checkbox. But despite my professed reservations, I do have a secret hope, and with me millions of people, that Obama is more than the Agenda, although we won't see this as soon as we'd like.
For now, I joined other members of Avaaz in congratulating Obama and reminding him of 10 promises he made that affect the world. They seem obvious and no more than common sense but haven't been on the American agenda for 8 years..
· Reduce the US's carbon emissions 80% by 2050 and play a strong positive role in negotiating a binding global treaty to replace the expiring Kyoto Protocol.· Withdraw all combat troops from Iraq within 16 months and keep no permanent bases in the country.
· Establish a clear goal of eliminating all nuclear weapons across the globe
· Close the Guantanamo Bay detention center
· Double US aid to cut extreme poverty in half by 2015 and accelerate the fight against HIV/AIDS, tuberculoses and Malaria
· Open diplomatic talks with countries like Iran and Syria, to pursue peaceful resolution of tensions
· De-politicize military intelligence to avoid ever repeating the kind of manipulation that led the US into Iraq
· Launch a major diplomatic effort to stop the killings in Darfur
· Only negotiate new trade agreements that contain labor and environmental protections
· Invest $150 billion over ten years to support renewable energy and get 1 million plug-in electric cars on the road by 2015